.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cut Steve's Blatherings

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Frustration

      The frustration level has been rather great at Casa St. Onge lately. The laptop, which I prefer to use because it is so much faster, and with wireless web connection, will need to go in for repair. Also, before I could get HP to agree to repair it, I had to reformat my hard disk, and now I can't get it attempt a wireless connection with the modem (and as I typed this, it occured to me I might need to run a driver disk so that the damn thing knows it can access the web via wireless; I'll try that in a minute).  Further, when I can use it, I can't use a mouse, as the damn USB ports won't recognize any hardware.

      Also, the computer will be gone at least a week, so I won't be able to take it with me when we go up to the North Shore (of Lake Superior) on Friday.  More frustration.

      Did read a good novel though.  The Dance of Time, by David Drake and Eric Flint.  The sixth and final novel in an sf alternate history featuring time-travelling intelligent machines from the far future, and the Byzantine General Belisarius, one of history's all-time great military geniuses.  If you'd like to check them out, you can get the first three free at http://www.baen.com/library/.  Just download An Oblique Approach, In the Heart of Darkness, and Destiny's Shield.  If you don't like science fiction, forget it, but if you do, you can get a whole bunch of free stuff as e-books at Baen, and the entire catalog for $4.00-to-$6.00 a copy. No annoying encryption schemes, either, and once you've bought it (assuming it isn't free), you can download it as many time as you'd like, in HTML, Word/Wordpad, MS Reader, Rocket/REB1100, or Palm/Win CE/Psion formats.  No encryption or another annoyances.  Baen's motto: 'The first hit is always free, kiddies!', and they've hooked me well.  The new novel won't be published till February, but I payed extra for an electronic advanced reader copy!

      Other than that, little to say currently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home